Sunday, January 15, 2012

Day 11--Gerard Sina's Enterprise

So I wasn't too upset I didn't go out because they didn't get back till 5AM. We had to be ready to go at 10:30AM. I heard from everybody that they had an awesome time out. They partied hardy here in Rwanda! I got up around 8:30 and found Eve, Carl, and Drew already up. Kara woke up right after me, surprisingly after such a late night. Eve, Kara and I took a nice little walk around Kigali because it was just so nice out.
So first thing we did once we all piled in the van at 11 was headed to the mall in Kigali for some lunch. I got a delicious chicken, avocado, tomato and cheese sandwich on fococcia bread :) We hung out there, ate and then got back in the van to go to Urwibutso Eses®. It is an enterprise founded by Gerard Sina. This Rwandan man sells and makes a bunch of different products such as hot pepper sauce, banana beer, red wine made with different fruits, wheat biscuits, Amondazzi (Rwandan donuts), different breads, Fruit drinks, and more. We toured the whole area where there is a restaurant, a factory for making the drinks, the place where they keep the animals---Before I go on I have to talk about the animals for a second...He plays them classical, hip-hop, and R & B music for the pigs and rabbits because they found there is more productivity and the animals don't eat as much. They have pigs, rabbits, monkeys, turkeys, and even some turtles. Some of those pigs are the biggest pigs I have seen in my life, one of the monkeys reached his arm out of the cage to scratch Paige in the face. At first when we walked up to the cage the monkey looked a little scared and then we moved closer and the monkey slowly and then very quickly jumped to the edge of the cage scaring the crap out of us. We laughed our heads off and then because we didn't move and neither did the monkey, that's when he reached his arm out trying to scratch Paige--which he did. Sorry Paige. I probably wouldn't have laughed if it was me but I laughed pretty hard when that happened.
We had a long commentary/description about the Enterprise by Gerard Sina, himself. He talked about the history and how it became what it is. Some asked questions and then he had us have a little wine/beer and biscuit tasting. That was pretty fun ;) The banana beer was alright but I liked the red wine more. It was like a strawberry flavor with carbonation. The biscuits were like a shortbread cookie but healthier and thicker because it seemed to contain a little more flour.
We had a nice drive back playing "Ghost" another fun game that Carl taught us. He's playing a loud game in the kitchen now with some people as I type this. They're yelling a lot so it's gotta be fun.

For the last few days our days will be filled with rehearsing with Mashirika to bring back some beautiful theater we are creating together.
We want to change lives.

-Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment